A couple of weeks ago, I took Oliver to his 4 month check up (for my own future reference, he was 26 inches and 15 lb 4 oz). While listening to his heart, the doctor nonchalantly asks, "have I heard a murmur on him before?" Almost instantaneously, I felt the worry and fear welling up inside of me. She then started to explain, "it's really just an extra whooshing sound. It could mean that his heart is full of holes that shouldn't be there, or it could be nothing." Yup, that definitely made me feel better.
So, I've spent the last 2 weeks worrying and trying my hardest to not look up heart murmurs online (because, seriously, webmd could make someone believe they were about to die because of a bloody nose!). We FINALLY had our appointment with the cardiologist today. It is a surreal experience to see your darling little 4 month old boy hooked up to the EKG machine and getting an ultrasound of his heart.
After a nearly 2 hour doctor's appointment, the doctor finally told us that our little man is totally fine!! I feel like I can breathe for the first time in weeks. He has what they call an "innocent murmur" and it will probably go away with time.
I'm so grateful for modern medicine! I was reading the other day that 100 years ago, half of all kids didn't live past age 5. I'm also grateful that I've been blessed with such wonderful kids and that they're healthy and thriving.



My Dr. said that Easton had a soft heart murmur as well. Luckily the next time we went in it had gone away. I hear that it is pretty normal for babies to have a little bit of a heart murmur, and that it usually goes away. Glad everything is ok though.
ReplyDelete