Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day!

I don't really celebrate Valentine's Day. I mean, it's a nice day to remind people how much we love them, but it kind of bothers me that it's so forced. Husbands get in trouble for not bringing home flowers, but they didn't bring home flowers yesterday, and you didn't care then. Why should you care today, just because the calendar says so? I think that instead of a set holiday, we should all reach out every day to those we love, and do random things for our spouses (boyfriends, girlfriends, fiances, etc) at random times to let them know how much we love them! But, honestly, I'm not going to swoon because you stopped by a grocery store on your way home from work and bought me chocolates and flowers because you felt obligated. Though, I'm not really a flowers and chocolates kind of girl.. Last year Jonathan saw a waffle maker that makes heart-shaped waffles, then realized while checking out that it was a V-day thing, so he made me heart-shaped waffles for breakfast. But, he also does that on random occasions, too. And, I've always made him a cute little card and written mushy stuff in it, but he has a whole shoebox full of love notes from me. My mom says I "expect too much" or that I'm a grinch for not liking V-day. Maybe I do expect too much. Oh well.

So, I leave you all with a challenge! Pick a random wonderful thing to do for your significant other every week (at least). Have a date night and get all dressed up and go to a fancy restaurant, just because. Be spontaneous in your relationship and don't go by a calendar!

But, Jonathan, don't you dare ever forget my birthday. (Yes, my mom pointed out that this makes me a "hypocrite". But, seriously, birthdays are different. Right?)

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about Valentine's day! And I agree with the birthday, though I will say that Anniversaries are a bigger deal, for me at least.

    ReplyDelete